Friday, January 15, 2010

Chicken Stuff: Coq Au Vin Stew or White Chicken Chili




Cooking is creative, right? I tell myself that right now as I am absurdly into my kitchen and cozy food. That frigidly cold two weeks Dallas had kicked it off. I dusted off my shiny red Crock-Pot. I think it's less that 6 quarts but just a nice size. Got out the slow cooker cookbook.

The result: this Coc Au Vin Stew that was way beyond what I though Better Homes and Gardens had to offer. Here's the recipe: Coq Au Vin Stew Recipe.

The kicker is you serve it over mashed potatoes. I kept the skins on, added garlic, loads of butter and half and half (non-fat). Did you even know they made it that way? I think the flavor of the 1/2 cup of red wine, tiny onions, and mushrooms meld slowly and make you feel something French. I have that whole Julia thing going on right now, so I loved this.
Ok, that was such a hit, I went in another chicken direction, and tried this white chili mix I found on the grocery shelves. Wow, another score. I made it "mild" so the grandkids could try it (their dad , the family fire-eater, added cayenne pepper to his bowl), added 2 cans of diced tomatoes and two cans of cannelloni beans to stretch the two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Laripin' good, mama!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails