Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Pushing the Envelope re: Spinning Painted Rovings


I have loved spinning hand-painted rovings I buy, sometimes at fiber festivals or on Etsy. But, after I had so much fun spinning with the luscious mohair locks, spinning the rovings as-is seemed a bit dull.

Sooooo, I started with this merino roving I bought from My 8 Kids Mom in Charlevoix, Michigan at last summer's fiber festival.

Then I went snorkeling into my stash of dyed locks - mohair, Wensleydale, whatever. I grabbed some shades of angelina. After all, one has to have bling.

This is the first jumbo bobbin of this painted roving/dyed locks experiment for me. It is loads of fun with a whimsical, no-rules result.

I think I need a bit more of the gold in the locks but the enhancement of the roving is to my liking. I will ply it with some sort of glorious thread so all the texture remains the focus.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! That is awesome!!! What a great conclusion to a fun experiment!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! I love the way it turned out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails